File Server (DFS) Folder Browsing SLOWLY
John Riddle
2006-08-15 23:07:54 UTC
Hi,

I've got a small office (20 users) and a small remote office (10 users)
connected via VPN. I have one domain controller. This is an old box with a
800mhz processor and 512MB RAM. It just handles logons and such using Windows
2003 Enterprise.

I also have one Application Server that runs Windows 2003 Enterprise/Exchange
2003 Enterprise. This server is more beefed up. It has 2.8Ghz processor, 4 GB
of RAM and 4 SATA Hard Drives configured in a RAID 10 configuration via a PCI
RAID controller.

In addition for redundancy and to keep the Exchange Server dedicated to
Exchange tasks (our CRM is a custom Outlook/Exchange solution that all users
use heavily for contact management), I have another server that is a
2.5Ghz/1GB Server with 2 SATA Drives connected directly to the motherboard.
This machine hosts DFS which synchronizes a directory (primarily for backup
purposes) to the remote office's similarly configured DC/File Server/Exchange
Server). In addition to being a file server running DFS, this server also has
Exchange installed with no mailboxes hosted on it, but does have all the
Public Folders (about 20 holding 200,000 items) replicated to it (again for
backup purposes). This server also serves as the VPN server (connected to the
remote office as well as having 1-3 remote users logged in at any given time.

Here's the problem... The main shared directory on the file server has about
10,000 word documents in it totaling about 4 GB in size. This shared directory
gets used quite often. Most files saved by the users get saved into this
folder (we're a recruiting firm and this folder holds all of our resumes). As
you can imagine most email attachments come out of this folder as well.

When trying to save to this directory, or attach a file to an email from this
directory, everyone gets a circulating magnifying glass that last for a couple
minutes before the files are displayed. I'm not sure how to speed this up.
What factors are likely to cause slow access/viewing of a folder with 10,000
(and growing) MS Word documents in it? We're not opposed to spending money to
upgrade hardware/memory/drives, etc. But where would the best investment be
made in order to gain instant access by 20 or so users to 1 single directory
containing about 10,000 documents?

I've tried to explain our current set-up as best I can. Hope this wasn't too
long of a post.

TIA

John
Starriol
2006-08-16 01:16:18 UTC
Do you reallly need to get the info on all those files? I think that is
slowing it down... Also, try using the Indexing server. I think it
could be usefull.

Also, is your disk defragmented? That could be too the problem.

Good luck man!
John Riddle
2006-08-16 01:25:02 UTC
I'm not sure what you mean by "get the info on all those files"?

All I need to do is in Outlook, when I go to attach a file and I browse to the
shared drive, have the file names come up immediately so that I can double
click on the one I want to attach it to an email. Right now, as soon as I
browse to the folder, I (most of the time) get a magnifying glass that just
runs in circles for a few minutes before the file list is displayed. I'd love
to just have the file list display immediately when I click on the folder.

The folder that the files are in is a DFS folder replicated to another server.
The share is mapped via: \\domainname\sharename

instead of

\\servername\folder

Does indexing service work with DFS? It's not a normal share.

Thanks,

John

Good luck man!
John Riddle
2006-08-16 01:42:57 UTC
Sorry, I meant to say that it's a "flashlight" going back and forth, not a
magnifying glass going around that lasts for a couple minutes before the file
list is displayed. I'm not searching the folder, I'm just browsing it to find
the file that I need to open or attach to an email. This also happens when I
try to save a document to the folder and select "Save As..." and go to select
the location. As soon as I click on this folder, I get the flashlight going
back and forth and the list takes a couple minutes to appear.

Good luck man!
Greg O
2006-08-16 03:03:50 UTC
The problem is it takes a long time to search through so many files.
You could break them up into sub folders then each would be quicker to
search. So for example you might have a folder for each letter, say
a,b,c,d,... Then if the file started with "a" it would only have to
search through a smaller number of files. If you couldn't find a file
then you would just use search on the main folder (the one containing
the folders for each letter of the alphabet). So if they were all .doc
files for examples you would search for .doc in the main folder and all
the files in the sub folders would be displayed. People would just need
to remember to save files in the right folder.

Alternatively you could use the search feature by Microsoft in Computer
Management, Google Desktop, etc to index the folder.
Good luck man!
John Riddle
2006-08-16 04:23:48 UTC
Based on your suggestion and that of the previous poster, I have indexed the
folder and it has made no difference whatsoever. Still takes over a minute to
just display the files. The separating into sub-folders isn't going to work
for my users. They'll start complaining and they probably won't follow the new
procedure half the time anyway.

The thing is that on some machines, the files display immediately. But on
others, they do not.

Any other suggestions?

John

Good luck man!
Greg O
2006-08-16 15:14:27 UTC
Some other possibilities:

1. Set the files to be available offline on the client computers and
synchronise the folders when the users log on and off. Since it is only
4 gig there should be plenty of room on the hard drives of the client
computers. If the files are local they should display much faster.
Synchronisation will take longer but this is only twice a day.
2. People could use terminal server to do these tasks and so the remote
desktop window is working off the local files on the server, which is
much faster. I had a similar problem when a client used MYOB and it
took a long time for their data files to open over the network. They
solved that through terminal server and there is no delay now.
3. You may be able to use distributed file system. Set the main file
folder as master and have other servers slave to it so the master holds
the most up to date copies and replicates with the others. Then have
users link to different servers to lighten the load on the main server.
It may be that several people are searching at once and slowing it
down.
4. If you are using Outlook to attach the files then this might
preclude using a search engine that indexes the files like say Google
Desktop. You should for example be able to put the name of a file into
Google Desktop and it should find it quickly since it would cache
search results locally. So then you might be able to copy and paste the
attachment from the Google list into an open email. You can also use
the Microsoft version:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/desktopsearch/default.mspx
Good luck man!
Greg O
2006-08-16 15:59:42 UTC
Another way:

Use IIS to make a web server that points to the directory that contains
all the files. Then allow read and browse. When people go to that site
e.g. http://your_domain then they should see a list of all the files
and select the one they want. Alternatively they could do the same
making an ftp site. Both of these might list the files faster, it may
be worth trying as it is quick to set up.
Good luck man!
John Riddle
2006-08-16 16:03:17 UTC
Greg,

Thanks. Really, the only thing we do with these files are:

1. When a new file is received and reviewed via MS Word, the users "Save
As..." and save the file to this folder.
2. When sending files out via email, they attach from this location.

I don't think Terminal Server would work for this since the users use the
Office Applications that are on their desktop.

I'll try adjusting the DFS settings and also make the folder available offline
and see if that helps. However, I'm doubtful about that because I work
remotely from home quite often and I do have this folder available offline and
it doesn't help when I'm working from home to have it available offline.

Good luck man!
Greg O
2006-08-17 02:19:48 UTC
You should try moving some of the files into another folder to see if
it speeds things up. You need to establish if there are simply too many
files to search quickly. Also if you try the Microsoft Search it is
free.
Greg,
Good luck man!
John Riddle
2006-08-17 18:32:39 UTC
Greg,

Thanks for your help. I think I've got it to an acceptable level. Seems like
the biggest factor speeding things up was that when I right-click the folder
and select properties, click the DFS tab it shows the replicas of the folder.
The remote server replica was set as "Active" so I highlighted the local
server replica and clicked the "Set as Active" button. That seemed to help a
lot.

Does anyone know what the "Active" means on this tab? I looked through MS
Help, but could only find out about "How to set as Active" not any information
about what "Active" means or what it does? I'm very curious.

Thanks,

John

"Greg O" <***@gmail.com> wrote in message news:***@74g2000cwt.googlegroups.com...

You should try moving some of the files into another folder to see if
it speeds things up. You need to establish if there are simply too many
files to search quickly. Also if you try the Microsoft Search it is
free.
Greg,
Good luck man!
Anthony
2006-08-17 20:37:25 UTC
That sounds like possibly your sites are not set up correctly in Sites and
Services. DFS finds the nearest dfs replica based on the site. Also, if you
move a server between sites, the DFS site is not always recalculated.
Anthony
Post by John Riddle
[...]
Greg,
Good luck man!
Greg O
2006-08-18 14:58:31 UTC
I believe it means the DFS share uses that particular server, instead
of a replica. Did you already have DFS set up and accessing a remote
server? If the link was low that could cause problems. You could also
open a share to the file folder, \\server\folder and see how fast that
is. You can also map a network drive to the folder.
Post by John Riddle
[...]
Greg,
Good luck man!
Greg O
2006-08-18 15:17:00 UTC
It may also be that DFS is replicating when files are changed and
slowing down the network. You can go to task manager, go to the network
tab and see how much traffic is going through each network card when
the problem is occuring. Also check to see if the cpu usage is high on
the server, that might also slow things down.
Post by John Riddle
[...]
Greg,