Windows 2003 - hide inaccessible files and folders
Mezlo
2005-07-28 22:12:02 UTC
We are migrating from Novell to Windows 2003 Standard and have come across an
issue which I have not found a solution for. Under Novell, when a user views
a network share, they can only see folders which they have access too. All
other folders in that share are not displayed. However, under Windows 2003,
it displays all folders, regardless of the user's permissions. If a user
clicks on an inaccessible folder it says "access denied".

My question is: How can I set up the Windows 2003 server so that when a user
views a share, folders which aren't accessible to that user are not displayed?
mike2005
2005-07-28 22:15:02 UTC
I dont think that is possible. If it isnt an option in the permissions list,
then I would say your stuck, or figure out a way and write the code. LMAO
just kiddin, but I am pretty sure it cannot be done.
Mezlo
2005-07-29 16:17:03 UTC
A user named "Crumpin" answered this question in
microsoft.public.windows.server.security. Microsoft has released an
access-based enumeration utility which accomplishes what I needed. Here is
the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=04a563d9-78d9-4342-a485-b030ac442084&displaylang=en

Mez
brian_mense@nascote.com
2005-08-08 14:07:08 UTC
Mezlo,

I'm looking at the same problem.
Did this work for you?
Mezlo
brian_mense@nascote.com
2005-08-08 16:16:13 UTC
that very reason is why I've not gone to just a Microsoft enviroment.
I don't understand why you would want to see folders you don't have rights
too.
Sometimes the simple things get overlooked.

Tks

Bmense