DCOM errors after upgrade to win 2003 sp1
Joe S.
2005-10-20 18:39:16 UTC
I have a HP DL320G2 server that was running win 2003 fine and just installed
SP1. Now when I start the server I get no network connection ( netman, com+
event system services do not start). I have no icons in my network connection
folder. I have tried resetting permission for the DCOM's in component
services and that does nothing. I also can't make any setting to the "My
Computer" in the component services MMC. When I right click it I get the
following:
No timeout entered in the transaction timeout box
No MSDTC tab at all
Enable DCOM on this computer is not checked and when I check it then there
are no available choices for authentication or impersonation settings
when I click the default protocol tab the MMC crashes
also when I click save after making any changes the MMC crashes and nothing
is ever changed.

I am also not able to expant the Com+ applications, Transaction list,
transaction statistics folders in the Component Service MMC. I get a message
saying I don't have permission to perform the action. I am logged in with the
local Administrator account. I have also tried all this logged in with a
Domain Admin account.

In the event logs I get error 10016 stating that the NT Authority\Network
Service account doesn't have the permission to start the netman service.

Any ideas would be great. I have tried the steps in MS Articles: 892500 and
825826 and nothing works.
Joe S.
825826 and nothing works.
Satya
2005-10-21 05:33:01 UTC
Check for resulting policy settings for "Impersonate a client after
authentication" in "User Rights Assignment". It should include
"service","IIS_WPG", "Network", and "Administrators" accounts.
--
V Satya Ramachandran
825826 and nothing works.
Joe S.
825826 and nothing works.
Ken Zhao [MSFT]
2005-10-21 07:03:49 UTC
Hello Joe,

Thank you for using newsgroup and thanks for Satya's suggestion!

Could you confirm the policy settings which Satya mentioned?

Verify that the user has the appropriate permissions to start the DCOM
server. To assign permissions, you may follow these steps:

1. Using Regedit, navigate to the following registry value:
HKCR\Clsid\clsid value\localserver32
Note: The clsid value is the information displayed in the message of Event
ID 10016.
2. In the right pane, double-click Default. The Edit String dialog box is
displayed. Leave this dialog box open.
3. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
4. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Component
Services.
5. In the Component Services snap-in, expand Computers, expand My Computer,
and double-click DCOM Config.
6. In the right pane, locate the program by using its friendly name.
7. Right-click the program name, and then select Properties.
8. On the Security tab, in the Launch and Activation Permissions group box,
select Customize, and then click Edit.
9. Add the user to the permissions list, and give the user the appropriate
permissions.

For more information about this Event 10016, please refer to the following
link:
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/result.aspx?EvtSrc=DCOM&EvtID=1
0016&ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&LCID=1033&ProdVer=5.2>

Based on your situation, I suggest you collect some system information
using Microsoft Configuration Capture Utility, and then please send the CAB
(Zip) file to me (v-***@microsoft.com). I will do my best to perform the
necessary research using the information.

Please download the tool:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd9
15706/MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE

For more information and overview, please refer to link below:

KB818742 Overview of the Microsoft Configuration Capture Utility
(MPS_REPORTS)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=818742

If you are asked whether to include msinfo32, click yes.

Note: The CAB file will be generated for your convenience in the
%systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\Lite\Cab directory called
%COMPUTERNAME%_MPSReports_.CAB. The CAB file will contain the reports
generated by the MPS Reporting Tool. If the CAB file isn't produced, please
compress all of the result files under %systemroot%\MPSReport\Setup\Lite as
a Zip file. (Note: %systemroot% is the folder where you install Windows.)

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Ken Zhao [MSFT]
2005-10-21 07:06:17 UTC
Hello Joe,

In addition, i found the following article and I am not sure if you have
applied the hotfix.

896729: Availability of Windows Server 2003 Post-Service Pack 1 COM+ Hotfix
Rollup Package 5
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;896729