Trouble with offline folders after switching servers
Bill
2007-05-01 03:01:01 UTC
I've got a little mess...over the weekend I copied all files from an old
W2003 server to a much larger new one (leaving behind Exchange). I changed
login scripts to reflect re-location of mapped drives, and for each user made
sure their "home" directory pointed to the correct location - as in
"\\server_new\users\username"

That was FINE with all the desktop only users, but half the office works
from laptops which they take home over the weekend, so they always synch
their offline folders.

BUT - and here's the problem - several people worked offline this weekend
during the server switch, and when they came back, their laptops attempted to
synch THOSE files ONLY to the OLD server, even though the home directory is
now pointing to the NEW server (same mapped drive letter).

I've tried everything - including going into the offline folders & telling
it to DELETE files associated with the old server, but the synch still tries
to do it! (I had the users manually move any files they worked on to the new
server.)

How do I get these laptops to STOP trying to synch to the old server, even
as they synch correctly to the new ???
Anthony
2007-05-01 06:49:48 UTC
Is this the one? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/230738
You can ctrl+shift Delete Files in the Explorer, Tools, Folder Options,
Offline Files; or you can use a registry key.
Anthony
http://www.airdesk.co.uk
Bill
Anthony
2007-05-01 18:29:00 UTC
I must be missing something in your account of the problem.
- You have removed all synchronization of offline file with ctrl+shift
- Something is putting a synchronization back.
What are the paths of the old synchronization, and the new?
What are you using to set up the Offline Files? Is it a Group Policy to Make
Available Offline?
Just out of curiosity, are you also redirecting the users' My Documents?
Anthony
http://www.airdesk.co.uk
Bill
2007-05-01 20:36:01 UTC
I have removed - as a test - the offline folders on one laptop, yes. I then
need the My Documents folders to synch to an offline folder. It is not done
by Group Policy, but rather I point My Docs to each users "home" directory, &
allow offline synch for that.

So NOW - with the home directory on a different server, and the home
directory changed in the users profiles, it attempts to still synch to the
old server, ESPECIALLY for those who worked on documents offline over the
weekend (disregarding my warning to save only locally & move to My Docs
later)/

Clearer??

Bill
Bill
2007-05-01 20:37:01 UTC
Sorry - missed on of your questions...

The paths:

\\server_old\users\username

\\server_new\users\username

How to home directory is set in each users Profile.
Anthony
2007-05-01 21:16:07 UTC
So your My Documents is redirected to the home folder, and automatically
made available offline.
- When you open Right Click My Documents, Properties, what do you see as the
target folder location?
- When you open Windows Explorer, Tools, Synchronize, what do you see as the
path for offline files?
Anthony
http://www.airdesk.co.uk
Bill
Bill
2007-05-02 01:31:01 UTC
BTW - anyway we can discuss this in "real time" - email, IM or something...I
realize we appear to be on different sides of the pond - the time lag is
making this tougher..
http://www.airdesk.co.uk
Anthony