Access Based Enumeration
Andrew Stout
2005-08-18 17:36:01 UTC
I have upgraded my Windows 2003 Standard server to SP1 and installed the GUI
configuration tool for ABE but after turning on ABE on one of my shares,
users can still see folders within that share that they don't have
permissions for. Has anyone gotten this feature to work properly or am I
misunderstanding it's usage?
Ferdi
2005-11-03 09:56:08 UTC
Andrew,

Did you set ABE "on" on the share?
We've had the same problem. After a reboot of the server ABE worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Ferdi
Gilbert
2006-01-13 18:31:03 UTC
same problem here. I just installed ABE, rebooted the server, turned ABE on
for the share and the user can still see it. If anybody has gotten it to
work, please post something. Thanks.
Tim Munro
2006-01-16 13:44:11 UTC
Very carefully verify that the user is not a member of any of the groups on
the ACLs of the folders. I installed ABE and it worked perfectly right away
(after a reboot of course). I'm using it on a cluster. No problems.

NOTE: Every time you create a new share on that server you must tell ABE
to be active on that share, it is not automatic. It's probably a good idea
to specify all shares (enable both check boxes)

--
Tim.
Tim Munro
2006-01-16 16:35:12 UTC
I retract my cluster statement. It is not behaving well on my cluster after
a fail over situation. I have more testing to do in this regard. It
otherwise does work well.

--
Tim
mario

Gilbert
Gilbert
2006-01-17 15:37:02 UTC
I created a test User who is only a member of Users. I'm just testing this
out so on a couple of folders I only let Administrator have rights, removed
everyone else from the ACL (both share and NTFS). I did check both boxes for
both of my shares. I also checked to make sure that the folder is not
inheriting permissions from its parent folder.