Event error GPO
Scott Micale
2005-12-28 17:42:41 UTC
I am getting this event error on my XP client and am unsure what to do.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1058
Date: 12/28/2005
Time: 12:36:02 PM
User: KITCHEN\khostetler
Computer: RECEPTIONIST2
Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO
cn={E3AC0F1D-6AB4-4DF3-A9C4-A58963E1C31A},cn=policies,cn=system,DC=hrm,DC=lan.
The file must be present at the location
<\\hrm.lan\SysVol\hrm.lan\Policies\{E3AC0F1D-6AB4-4DF3-A9C4-A58963E1C31A}\gpt.ini>.
(The system cannot find the path specified. ). Group Policy processing
aborted.

I don't even see this folder in my sysvol directory under
hrm.lan\Policies\the above folder.

What do I do?

Thanks!
Galen
Date: 12/28/2005
Time: 12:36:02 PM
User: KITCHEN\khostetler
Computer: RECEPTIONIST2
Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO
cn={E3AC0F1D-6AB4-4DF3-A9C4-A58963E1C31A},cn=policies,cn=system,DC=hrm,DC=lan.
The file must be present at the location
<\\hrm.lan\SysVol\hrm.lan\Policies\{E3AC0F1D-6AB4-4DF3-A9C4-A58963E1C31A}\gpt.ini>.
(The system cannot find the path specified. ). Group Policy processing
aborted.
I don't even see this folder in my sysvol directory under
hrm.lan\Policies\the above folder.
What do I do?
Thanks!
Have you taken a look here (one of my favorite sites) for more information?

http://eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1058&eventno=1752&source=Userenv&phase=1

That's probably (the one closest to your particular scenerio) the fix.
--
Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)
http://dts-l.org/

"We approached the case, you remember, with an absolutely blank mind,
which is always an advantage. We had formed no theories. We were simply
there to observe and to draw inferences from our observations." -
Sherlock Holmes
Scott Micale
2005-12-28 20:47:31 UTC
Ok, I think I might have found the problem but want to make sure before I do
anything.

I went to \\servername\sysvol\Domain\ inside this folder there is another
folder in there called NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog. I have never seen
this folder before. Inside that folder is the Policy that the user is
trying to access. Weird thing is in the Application Log it does not show
the path with the NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog, it just shows it like
this
\\hrm.lan\SysVol\hrm.lan\Policies\{E3AC0F1D-6AB4-4DF3-A9C4-A58963E1C31A}\gpt.ini.
In my browser it shows this folder as
\\hrm.lan\SysVol\hrm.lan\NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog\Policies\{E3AC0F1D-6AB4-4DF3-A9C4-A58963E1C31A}\gpt.ini.
If I go to the client computer and try and browse to this I get a Access
Denied. So I am pretty sure it is a permission thing. So why is there a
NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog folder? Can I move the policy within that
out of the folder and copy it to the \\hrm.lan\SysVol\hrm.lan\Policies\
folder?

Thanks
Sherlock Holmes
Galen
2005-12-29 00:08:50 UTC
Post by Scott Micale
[...]
<snipped>

Before moving it why not try to assign permissions (group permissions rather
than a specific owner) instead? If not then I'd say go ahead and move it and
see what happens. Can't really break anything I don't suppose. It might just
be corrupted and need to be recreated which *I think* should be automatic
the next domain logon????

Sherlock Holmes
Ken Zhao [MSFT]
2005-12-29 02:25:41 UTC
Hello Scott,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

First of all, I would like to thank our MVP Galen for his kindly input and
great suggestions. At this moment, I agree with Galen's suggestions. You
may check the NTFS file system permissions and share permissions on the
Sysvol share. Then you may remove it to see if it can help.

In addition, I also found the following articles that mentioned the event
error 1058. If the steps above do not help you resolve the issue. You may
refer to the more solutions that have been included in the following
articles:

314494: Group policies are not applied the way you expect; "Event ID 1058"
and "Event ID 1030" errors in the application log
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314494

842804: Group Policy processing does not work and events 1030 and 1058 are
logged in the Application log of a domain controller
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842804/en-us

887303: Applying Group Policy causes Userenv errors and events to occur on
your computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows
2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887303/en-us

810907: Error Messages When You Open or Copy Network Files on Windows XP
SP1 Clients That Require SMB Signing
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810907

I hope the information helps.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------

Scott Micale
2005-12-29 16:02:25 UTC
Hey guys I really appreciate all the help! I finally got this thing working
as it should and since I fixed this now my other GP that I wrote to map some
network printer allowed them to be applied to my clients. Also I am not
getting the Application Errors anymore as well. Here is what I did to
resolve the problem.

I looked at the folder permissions on the NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog
and they were not set to allow Authenticated Users access. So I went ahead
and added that and then had the user log on and off. I still got the errors
in the Application Log. So I then copied the
{E3AC0F1D-6AB4-4DF3-A9C4-A58963E1C31A} the policy that was in the
NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog folder and placed it in the
\\nt_server\sysvol\hrm.lan\Policies folder. Again I set the folder
permissions to allow Authenticated Users and then had the user log off and
back on. That cleared the errors up and also allowed the GP for mapping a
network drive to go through.

On a side note, when I am posting reply's should I post them at the bottom
of the message or is it ok to do it at the top.

Thanks again guys!

Ken Zhao [MSFT]
2005-12-30 07:14:10 UTC
Hi Scott,

Thank you for your reply and the detailed additional feedback on how you
were successful in resolving this issue. Your solution will benefit many
other users, and we really value having you as a Microsoft customer.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
contact me. It is always my pleasure to be of assistance.

> [...]

are
| > logged in the Application log of a domain controller
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842804/en-us
| >
| > 887303: Applying Group Policy causes Userenv errors and events to occur
on
| > your computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or
| > Windows
| > 2000
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887303/en-us
| >
| > 810907: Error Messages When You Open or Copy Network Files on Windows XP
| > SP1 Clients That Require SMB Signing
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810907
| >
| > I hope the information helps.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so

| > |
| > | I went to \\servername\sysvol\Domain\ inside this folder there is
| > another
| > | folder in there called NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog. I have never
| > seen
| > | this folder before. Inside that folder is the Policy that the user is
| > | trying to access. Weird thing is in the Application Log it does not
| > show
| > | the path with the NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog, it just shows it
| > like
| > | this
| > |

\\hrm.lan\SysVol\hrm.lan\Policies\{E3AC0F1D-6AB4-4DF3-A9C4-A58963E1C31A}\gpt
| > ini.
| > | In my browser it shows this folder as
| > |

\\hrm.lan\SysVol\hrm.lan\NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog\Policies\{E3AC0F1D
| > -6AB4-4DF3-A9C4-A58963E1C31A}\gpt.ini.
| > | If I go to the client computer and try and browse to this I get a
Access
| > | Denied. So I am pretty sure it is a permission thing. So why is
there
| > | NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog folder? Can I move the policy within
| > that
| > | out of the folder and copy it to the
\\hrm.lan\SysVol\hrm.lan\Policies\
| > | folder?
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | "Galen" <***@gmail.com> wrote in message

cn={E3AC0F1D-6AB4-4DF3-A9C4-A58963E1C31A},cn=policies,cn=system,DC=hrm,DC=la
| > n.

<\\hrm.lan\SysVol\hrm.lan\Policies\{E3AC0F1D-6AB4-4DF3-A9C4-A58963E1C31A}\gp
| > t.ini>.
| > processing

http://eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1058&eventno=1752&source=Userenv&phas
| > e=1