What is Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2003?
Anthony R. Gold
2007-04-06 14:22:41 UTC
I'm interested in buying an HP server which comes with Microsoft Windows
Storage Server 2003. The blurb says "Windows Storage Server 2003 is a
dedicated file and print server that has all functionality unrelated to
file serving removed". What does that imply? Does this still have at
least full Windows XP Pro functionality such that it comes with a Remote
Desktop server (WBT Server on TCP Port 3389). Will I be able to install
plain vanilla Windows XP software such as Firefox etc. or maybe even say
FTP server or Web server software from a third party?

Tony
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
2007-04-06 15:38:00 UTC
Post by Anthony R. Gold
I'm interested in buying an HP server which comes with Microsoft
Windows Storage Server 2003. The blurb says "Windows Storage Server
2003 is a dedicated file and print server that has all functionality
unrelated to file serving removed". What does that imply?
Sounds pretty clear to me - it's for networked storage only.
See http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/wss2003/default.mspx for an
overview.
Post by Anthony R. Gold
Does this
still have at least full Windows XP Pro functionality such that it
comes with a Remote Desktop server (WBT Server on TCP Port 3389).
AFAIK you can manage it using Remote Desktop, yes.
Post by Anthony R. Gold
Will I be able to install plain vanilla Windows XP software such as
Firefox etc. or maybe even say FTP server or Web server software from
a third party?
Nope - it's just for storage.
You might see
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/syllabi/EN-US/2215AFinal.mspx for some
more info.
Tony
Anthony R. Gold
2007-04-06 16:51:49 UTC
On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 11:38:00 -0400, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
Post by Anthony R. Gold
Will I be able to install plain vanilla Windows XP software such as
Firefox etc. or maybe even say FTP server or Web server software from
a third party?
Nope - it's just for storage.
Thanks. I guess that's possible but it just seems so unlikely.

I understood that MS delivered it running no unrelated processes, but the
thought that none could even be installed suggested that even Microsoft
would never be able to provide additional or updated data and network
management tools.

Do you have experience of this particular software are you just commenting
Tony
Edwin vMierlo [MVP]
2007-04-07 06:22:48 UTC
As far as I know it runs IIS (web / ftp) no problem.

There are indeed limitations on certain packages (such as Exchange) which
you are not able to install on a WSS server.

You can install Network Management in the sense of monitoring agents.
I would not install a Network Mangement full package on a WSS server. After
all you are using this to "serve files" ... right ?

HTH
Edwin.
Tony
Anthony R. Gold
2007-04-07 10:19:44 UTC
On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 07:22:48 +0100, "Edwin vMierlo [MVP]"
Post by Edwin vMierlo [MVP]
As far as I know it runs IIS (web / ftp) no problem.
There are indeed limitations on certain packages (such as Exchange) which
you are not able to install on a WSS server.
You can install Network Management in the sense of monitoring agents.
I would not install a Network Mangement full package on a WSS server. After
all you are using this to "serve files" ... right ?
Thanks Edwin.

Yes, I want the machine to hold and make network-available some files, but
I do not want to use any particular Microsoft file access software or
protocols.

The HP server machine I have in mind is attractive to me because of its
hardware specification and I wanted to know whether the Server software
which comes along with it for free could be useful or whether I'll need to
install XP Pro or full Server 2003 to get the functionality I'm after.

I just have no idea whether this Storage Server 2003 has the look and feel
of Server 2003 and XP, such as by running Windows Explorer and allowing
the installation of plain vanilla 32 bit Windows software, or whether it
is more like a locked-down dedicated application rather than a flexible
Windows operating system onto which I can install my own software.

I think my question can only really be answered by someone with hands-on
experience of Storage Server 2003. But maybe I'll just get the machine
and, worst case, I'll have to toss that software and install something
more suitable.

Tony
Edwin vMierlo [MVP]
2007-04-07 11:13:05 UTC
Anthony,

It is Windows 2003 server "under the hood" and you do not "see a difference"
when logging into the console.
Microsoft has indeed limited certain (microsoft) applications to run on it.

I do not believe that you are limited installing a 3rd party FTP server or
Web server.
But your OEM (HP in your case) will be able to tell you the correct answer.

WSS is an OEM product, so all support goes through HP (if you buy from HP)

rgds,
Edwin.
Tony
Anthony R. Gold
2007-04-07 11:45:00 UTC
On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 12:13:05 +0100, "Edwin vMierlo [MVP]"
Post by Edwin vMierlo [MVP]
It is Windows 2003 server "under the hood" and you do not "see a difference"
when logging into the console.
Microsoft has indeed limited certain (microsoft) applications to run on it.
I do not believe that you are limited installing a 3rd party FTP server or
Web server.
But your OEM (HP in your case) will be able to tell you the correct answer.
WSS is an OEM product, so all support goes through HP (if you buy from HP)
Many thanks Edwin, that all sounds most reassuring.

Tony